Visa assistance problems in foreign countries

Have you been to the Philippines or other foreign country and found the love of your life? Gotten married or engaged only to realize that you need to do paperwork? The last thing you need at this point is visa assistance problems!

While you were there, you hired what you thought was a reputable travel agency, so called visa consultancy or attorney, someone that gave you a great story about their success rate and how much better they were than others, how they were cheaper etc. You paid them either a sizable down payment or the whole fee up front only to find upon your return to your home country that these people no longer exist, the agency has dissappeared or when you do manage to get someone on the phone you get a story like “Mary is not in today” or the person you need to talk to “is not around today try again tomorrow” or you get someone that speaks broken English that is so bad you are wondering why you even bothered.

Visa assistance problems are more common than you imagine!
You have spent many dollars to this point only to find you have nothing or you have entrusted your all important immigration paperwork to someone who has no idea what they are doing. They have the money, you have nothing! Don’t fall into this trap, come to the professionals at Olvis who with over 30 years of experience can confidently guarantee that your petition will be approved in the fastest possible time. Someone that you can call anytime and get answers to your questions and concerns and someone that speaks your language.

K1 Fiancee Visa

  • Do you have an approval notice from the USCIS for the spouse or K-1 Fiancée visa application that you or your attorney in the USA did and are now wondering what are the next steps and just what does your lady in the Philippines have to do next?
  • Does the stark realization suddenly hit you right between the eyes that the visa application that was submitted to USCIS by you or your attorney was just a very small part of the process?
  • Do you ask yourself who is there to help my lady get through the maze of paperwork that she has to endure as well as prepare her for the dreaded embassy interview?
  • Are you wondering how can I or my attorney assist her at this point and who is there for her, to authenticate and verify all of her documents and make sure she is properly prepared for the embassy interview?
  • Are you wondering who will book her airline or boat tickets to Manila for the medical and interview and who will handle her hotel reservations while she is there and how will I pay for these things?

Form I-765 USCIS Work Permit

If you are temporarily in the United States, the USCIS Work Permit Form I-765 is used to request an Employment Authorization Document. If you are authorized to work in the United States without restrictions you must also use this form to apply for a document that shows this authorization. Individuals who are not US citizens and want to work in the US should get authorization to work in the country. To get authorization, they can do so by filing the I-765 form. Since they belong to a different national origin, though, foreigners or aliens can work after the I-765 form is approved.A valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is issued in the form of a plastic card which looks like a credit card. The information seen on the card contains personal details of the person who has applied it, such as name, birthdate, country of birth, sex, photo, alien registration number, and others. Any foreign national in the US with a valid EAD can work for an employer in the country. Non-US citizens can file an I-765 form with the USCIS Regional Service Center closest to where they live. Each applicant should file a separate application.

Some instances where a foreign national can apply for an Employment Authorization Document:

  • Spouses and children of foreign government officials
  • Foreign nationals of refugee and asylum status
  • F1 and M1 students of certain categories
  • B1 non-immigrant employees of US citizens and foreign airlines.
  • Spouses of L and E visa holders and spouses and children of J visa holders.
  • Foreign nationals of V non-immigrant status and who are under the temporary protected status.

The following circumstances are examples of Employment Authorization Documents issued by the USCIS:

  • Renewal EAD – The Employment Authorization Document issued for the EAD that has expired will be issued only under the same category.
  • Interim EAD – Requested by the foreign employee if his EAD has not been denied or approved within 90 days.
  • Replacement EAD – Issued for previously released Employment Authorization Documents that were stolen, damaged, lost or having errors in the information like a misspelled name or wrong birthdate.

In case a person has filed an I-485 application which is to register permanent residence or adjustment of status after July 30, 2007, there is no need to pay a filing fee of an I-765. The I-765 application can be filed at the same time as the I-485 or filed separately at a later stage. The employment authorization document is a mere work permit and authorizes one to work in the United States. Depending on the category, one has to file the I-765 form and take the advantage and right of working in the US, which is a dream for many of the foreign nationals. If you need assistance in filing an I-765, contact Olvis Immigration and Visa Services today!

Getting a CR1 Spouse Visa

To petition your wife or husband from the Philippines, you will need a CR1 Spouse Visa. CR1 Visas are immigrant visas that are issued to foreign spouses of American citizens. The visa process is to be completed by the foreign spouse outside the United States, after the US citizen spouse files and approves the proper petition with the USCIS. Upon its issuance and approval, the foreign spouse may enter the United States with their visa and pass through the arrival port of entry where they can become a permanent resident immediately. The Green Card or Permanent Resident Card will be received in the mail at their US address in a few weeks. To properly obtain the CR1 visa, the American citizen and his foreign husband or wife must be legally married; they should have had a civil or church wedding and have authenticated their registrar marriage certificate at the NSO in the Philippines. If you are not married, you may use a K1 Fiancée visa. The US Law does not allow polygamy, so if either individual has been married before, there should be evidence that all previous marriages have been annulled. If applicable, a death certificate or divorce certificate that indicates the marriage has been terminated should be submitted. Divorce or death certificates must be certified copies, since this will be required by USCIS.

There only difference between the Immediate Relative IR1 Visa and the Conditional Resident CR1 Visa is the USCIS issues the CR1 visa to couples who have been married less than two years and the IR1 visa for those who have been married more than 2 years.

The average time to get a CR1 or IR1 visa is approximately 9 to 12 months from the date of filing. An American citizen cannot take his or her Filipino spouse back to the United States right after the marriage until the visa has been issued.

To know more about how to file a CR1 or IR1 visa, contact Olvis Immigration and Visa Services today. We will be more than happy to answer your inquiries and assist you on obtaining your visa every step of the way.

The I-131 Advance Parole

The I-131 Advance Parole or popularly known as just “Advance Parole” is a term in the Immigration field that means “permission to leave and return to the United States.” It is an essential travel document for those who have foreign fiancées that need to return home for emergent reasons before adjustment of status and issuance of the green card, because she won’t be able to depart and reenter the United States without getting this document before she leaves. If someone leaves the US after entering on a K1 Visa before adjustment of status and issuance of the green card, Immigration officials will presume abandonment of US residence. Thus, if your Filipino fiancée enters the country by means of a K1 Visa and then leaves, she will not be able to return to the US on that K1 Visa and the entire process must be restarted from scratch. An advance parole document is exclusively issued to authorize the return of someone who entered the United States with a K1 visa and who has not adjusted their status or has procured a green card. It could be accepted by a transportation company in the place of a visa as an approval or permit for the holder to travel to the United States. However, the advance parole document is not issued to serve in place of a passport.

If your Filipino fiancée is already in the USA, the I-131 Advance Parole can be included with the Change of Status. The immigrant is also advised to apply for an “Application for Travel Document” in case an unforeseen occurrence happens, like a family emergency or death in the immigrant’s home country. If something like this happens, they may leave the US and come back through any US port of entry without encountering problems in re-entering.

Advance Parole is an exceptional method used carefully to allow an alien to return to the United States after having left voluntarily before adjustment of status and acquisition of the green card. Nevertheless, it is not a means to bypass delays in visa issuance and cannot be used to circumvent the normal visa issuing procedures.

Aliens Change of Address

The form AR-11, or the alien’s change of address card, is the card used by non-US citizens to report a change of address within ten days of the transfer. Section 265 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1305) requires this collection of information. Individuals who are non-US citizens over the age of 14 and remaining in the United States for more than 30 days are required to submit Form AR-11 within 10 days of the change of address. Each time the person moves to a different residence, he needs to submit the information. There is no fee for filing the change; the only expense is the cost for mailing. The data issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services for statistical and record purposes may be furnished to Federal, State, local, and foreign law enforcement officials. Should a non-US citizen fail to comply with the regulation, thus failing to report a change of address, he is subject to be punished by fine, imprisonment, or removal.

All sponsors who petitioned a non-US citizen or have joint sponsors are responsible for providing the change of address information by using the I-865 form. If a sponsor has already completed a Form I-864 affidavit of support any time in the past to sponsor an immigrant, they are required to report the change of address within 30 days if the sponsorship agreement is still active. The sponsorship agreement will remain in force until the sponsored alien:

a) Becomes a US citizen

b) Can be credited with 40 quarters of work

c) Departs the United States permanently

d) Formally abandons lawful permanent resident status by filing Form I-407

e) Loses permanent resident status in a removal proceeding

f) Dies

The average time to get a CR1 or IR1 visa is approximately 9 to 12 months from the date of filing. An American citizen cannot take his or her Filipino spouse back to the United States right after the marriage until the visa has been issued.

To know more about how to file an AR-11 form or how to sponsor a non-US citizen so she can visit the United States, contact Olvis Immigration and Travel Services. We specialize in fiancée/spousal visa processing and offer guaranteed results.

Understanding The Fiancé/Fiancée Visa Timeline

The Fiancé/Fiancée Visa timeline

If you are an American citizen contemplating marriage with a foreign national, you should fully understand the process for obtaining a K-1 Fiancé/Fiancée Visa, including all the stages that make up the timeline. Working through this process on your own can be a time-consuming, frustrating experience.

To assist you with your case in the K-1 process, shorten preparation time and eliminate delays, especially when dealing the government agencies, we recommend retaining Olvis Immigration & Visa Services at the very start of the process. We specialize in obtaining K-1 Fiancé/Fiancée Visas and will guide you through all the required steps, enabling you and your fiancé/fiancée to enjoy this time in your lives knowing that you are in good hands with the oldest and most experienced company of this kind in the Philippines.

We will work with you from the preliminary planning stages all the way through to the issuance of the K-1 Visa. We start the process with the preparation of the application and verifying and authenticating the various required documents as well as preparing you for the required evidence of relationship and support.

Timeline for the K1 Visa process.

Step One – United States Citizenship and Immigration Services

Your case will be on its way to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services as soon as you sign the completed petition which has been prepared by our office. After USCIS receives the case, it takes anywhere from 3 months on the fast side to as long as 7 months on the long side, the average time for the last 3 years or so has been 5 to 6 months, depending upon the amount of backlog at the particular USCIS service center. Each petition has its own level of complexity. The Approvals do not arrive in the order that the cases are filed.

Step Two – National Visa Center (NVC)

The Approved petition is then mailed from the USCIS to the NVC or National Visa Center. Once approved you will be notified by mail and then the NVC will forward your case to the appropriate United States Embassy in your beneficiaries country of residence. This step usually takes two to three weeks.

Step Three – U.S. Embassy Interview

This is most complex stage of the K-1 Fiancé/Fiancée Visa process as each embassy has different requirements, depending upon the country. U.S. embassies in most countries require a wait time of six to eight weeks until the interview date; however, there are some countries such as Mexico, Philippines, and Ukraine that allow scheduling an interview as soon all documents are obtained. Specifics vary by country; for example:

Applicants from Philippines may schedule an interview date at their convenience as soon as they receive a notice from the NVC that the petition has been sent to Manila. It may be possible with the U.S Embassy in Manila for the interview date to be set in as little as 2 weeks.

  • The Majority of embassies assign an interview date for you only upon receipt of the biographical forms (for example: UK, China). All supporting documentation must be taken directly to the interview. The wait time can be anywhere from four to eight weeks when dealing with this type of embassies handling.
  • The U.S. embassies in some countries allow to select an interview date through their online interface (Russia, Brazil). This is a new method of handling the K-1 Visa process by the embassies, which proves to be very convenient for the applicants.

Step Four – K-1 Visa is Issued

After the interview takes place, upon approval, the embassy will issue the visa. The Passport with the visa and prepared documents in a sealed envelope will be delivered to your Fiancé/Fiancée via courier service within seven to ten days. The visa will be valid for a period of six months from the date of issuance and is good for one entry to the United States. Upon entry under a K-1 Visa your Fiancé/Fiancée is required to marry the American Petitioner within 90 days of the arrival date.


In most cases, the entire process can take anywhere from three to seven months.  To obtain the current processing times for USCIS and US Embassy in the Philippines please feel free to contact our office.

Retaining our experienced firm to help you through every step of the K-1 visa process, rather than attempting to struggle through alone (or hiring preparation-only consulting services), can save you months of frustration. Please contact our office with any questions you may have.


Our Services

Do you have a loved one in the Philippines that you wish to bring to your home country?

Are you considering the assistance of a travel agency, an immigration lawyer, or a self-proclaimed immigration expert—or take the risk of spending too much for a fly-by-night service?

Let our 30 years of immigration experience speak for itself. Here at Olvis Immigration and Travel Service, we assure you of nothing but complete, personalized, paperwork preparation and professional support services for all phases of immigration and travel for USA, Australia, New Zealand and the UK.

We have handled immigration cases every day for the last 30 years and have never been unsuccessful.

Our Services:

  • Professional staff fluent in the native language and experts in immigration paperwork—for your partner’s guidance
  • Online processing for out-of-area clients, servicing all areas in the Philippines. This means that neither you or your partner ever have to come to our centrally located office for any part of the process as everything can be done online.
  • 24-hour toll free hotlines from the US and Canada and instant messaging for real-time customer support
  • Travel assistance such as flight bookings and deep discount airfares.
  • Immigrant status adjustment, employment authorization, and other post-arrival paperwork

With offices located in the U.S. and the Philippines, we can assure quick and trouble-free visa and immigration processing. Best of all, our comprehensive services come at a very reasonable cost. We accept all major credit and debit cards, including MasterCard, VISA, American Express, and Discover.

Be sure and ask about our various financing programs

The immigration process is complex and frustrating and can cost you valuable time and money, but Olvis Immigration and Travel is dedicated to helping couples start their lives together. We make it easy to bring your fiancée or spouse home.

Why do it myself

Like complicated tax returns, filling out visa and immigration paperwork can be a stressful and intimidating process. One simple mistake or oversight will result in costly, complex and lengthy delays. Having to re-do and re-submit your visa and immigration application papers will make you wait many extra months for your fiancée’s immigration approval and, in some instances, jeopardize the entire procedure.

This is a situation where it pays you to work with a professional – someone who deals with every aspect of the immigration and visa application process from K-1 Fiancée, Spousal or the new K-3 visa. Someone that does these applications on a daily basis. Someone who will get it done for you quickly, and most importantly, correctly, the first time, every time. That’s our promise and commitment to our valued clients.



There are many attorneys who advertise visa services for the Philippines and these are fine (at substantially higher prices) as far as they go. What they don’t tell you about, and can’t offer, are the additional full support services that Olvis provides for you and your fiancée, both in the U.S. and in the Philippines, throughout the entire immigration process.

We work directly with the various governmental agencies involved on a daily basis. We know all the local laws, regulations and requirements for immigration firsthand, and stay up to date on any changes in those requirements as they may occur. We are right here to assist both you and your fiancée through each step of the process.

Our Philippine staff is fluent in your fiancée’s native dialect, so she will feel comfortable and confident as we assist her through all the visa application steps that she will need to take.



With 30+ years of experience, offices in both the U.S. and the Philippines, and lower prices than attorneys charge for just completing the INS paperwork, Olvis Immigration and Travel handles the entire immigration process for you, from the time you first contact us until the time your spouse or fiancée arrives in the USA. Our services include assistance with the following required items, passports, police clearances, authenticated documents, medical, CFO classes and all other documents required by both the Philippine and United States governments.

Speed, accuracy, and full comprehensive immigration services at low, truly affordable prices, that’s what the friendly and professional staff at Olvis offers you. For questions and any unforeseen problems, we’re never more than a phone call away, any time, any day, until the whole process is complete.

Hire a lawyer, an agent, or process the visa myself ?

Should I hire a lawyer, an agent, or process the visa myself?

Only you can answer that question. I will explain the differences to help you come to your own conclusion.

Hiring a lawyer. Most lawyers will charge anywhere from $2000 to $7000+ to process a simple fiancé visa or spousal visa, even more if there are complications involved, such as children, multiple petitions, co-sponsors, etc. We get many inquiries from people who have hired lawyers, wanting information on the interview process. This is because these lawyers will often only FILE the petition for $2000, they know very little about the process at the individual embassy interview level. Each embassy has slightly different requirements. What is worse, usually these lawyers never even look at your petition, they have their paralegals do it for them. So while you may be paying the lawyer $300+ per hour, he is paying someone $10/hr to actually submit your petition. Once it leaves the NVC, you are dropped cold, that is where their assistance ends. However, the filing of the visa is the easy part, preparing proper documentation and preparing for the interview is more complicated, and more important. Some of the biggest errors, and the simplest errors to prevent, were done by people who had hired lawyers, and by doing so thought they would be taken care of to the end. A lawyer cannot “speed up” the process any more than someone who has done proper research, nor can a lawyer “guarantee” you a visa. So unless your case is very complicated, hiring a lawyer may create problems for you that you might not have had doing it yourself.

Can I do it myself?

Again, only you can answer that question. I would like to tell you that you that you need hire us. However, truthfully speaking almost anyone can do this process and get through it on their own, The only question is this, how many times do you want to do this and how much time and money do you want to spend trying to do something that you are only going to do once in your life? Do you really want her here with you NOW or can you wait to correct any mistakes that you could make during the process? There is a lot of information available on the internet, much of it is just plain wrong put up by some one that wants to be an expert that may have done his own paperwork and gotten it done successfully. Did this supposed expert tell you that he spent many dollars and it took him 2 or three years to get it done? There is a lot of bad info out there, so expect to spend considerable time doing your research. Keep in mind that each small error or omission will cost many months of additional time.

Should I use an agent?

While hiring a lawyer is very expensive and can cause problems of it’s own, hiring the right agent can remove most of the stress from the process, and assure you the least amount of problems along the way. What should you look for in an agent? You should look for an agent that specializes in the type of visa you are applying for, and from the country you want to immigrate from. Immigration laws can be very complex, and someone who specializes can stay abreast of all the current changes and requirements for specific visas from specific countries. Beware of agents that tell you they have a proven track record in dealing with the U.S. Embassy in Manila and have built a strong, professional relationship with the U.S. Embassy staff.  By saying this they are trying to imply that they have connections at the embassy, let me make this one point perfectly clear when someone tells you this, they are lying as no one has any pull with the embassy. Beware of agents who process many types of visas and/or visas from many countries, as there is way too much information for an individual or a small company to stay abreast of. Beware of agents who have little track record, or those that advertise they can guarantee a visa (Nobody can guarantee you a visa). Beware of those whose prices seem too low, or use pushy sales tactics. Stay away from those who claim to be “high volume”, high volume generally can be translated into little personal service. Also beware of trick pricing, many agents will quote you a fee for filing the visa, and like many lawyers will leave you hanging after that, or charge separate fees for each additional stage of the process. So be sure you are comparing apples to apples, not comparing one agent’s quote for full service start to finish against another agent’s fee for filing of the petition only. Ask if the price includes adjustment of status after arrival in the US. Ask if the price includes interview preparation.

So look for an agent that specializes in the types of visa you are applying for, and processes only visas from the country you are immigrating from, preferably an agent who lives in the country you are immigrating from and has native language capabilities, to be close at hand when it comes interview time, as that is when you are going to need help the most.