If you are temporarily in the United States, the USCIS Work Permit Form I-765 is used to request an Employment Authorization Document. If you are authorized to work in the United States without restrictions you must also use this form to apply for a document that shows this authorization. Individuals who are not US citizens and want to work in the US should get authorization to work in the country. To get authorization, they can do so by filing the I-765 form. Since they belong to a different national origin, though, foreigners or aliens can work after the I-765 form is approved.A valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is issued in the form of a plastic card which looks like a credit card. The information seen on the card contains personal details of the person who has applied it, such as name, birthdate, country of birth, sex, photo, alien registration number, and others. Any foreign national in the US with a valid EAD can work for an employer in the country. Non-US citizens can file an I-765 form with the USCIS Regional Service Center closest to where they live. Each applicant should file a separate application.
Some instances where a foreign national can apply for an Employment Authorization Document:
- Spouses and children of foreign government officials
- Foreign nationals of refugee and asylum status
- F1 and M1 students of certain categories
- B1 non-immigrant employees of US citizens and foreign airlines.
- Spouses of L and E visa holders and spouses and children of J visa holders.
- Foreign nationals of V non-immigrant status and who are under the temporary protected status.
The following circumstances are examples of Employment Authorization Documents issued by the USCIS:
- Renewal EAD – The Employment Authorization Document issued for the EAD that has expired will be issued only under the same category.
- Interim EAD – Requested by the foreign employee if his EAD has not been denied or approved within 90 days.
- Replacement EAD – Issued for previously released Employment Authorization Documents that were stolen, damaged, lost or having errors in the information like a misspelled name or wrong birthdate.
In case a person has filed an I-485 application which is to register permanent residence or adjustment of status after July 30, 2007, there is no need to pay a filing fee of an I-765. The I-765 application can be filed at the same time as the I-485 or filed separately at a later stage. The employment authorization document is a mere work permit and authorizes one to work in the United States. Depending on the category, one has to file the I-765 form and take the advantage and right of working in the US, which is a dream for many of the foreign nationals. If you need assistance in filing an I-765, contact Olvis Immigration and Visa Services today!